History of Innishannon
Innishannon derives its name from "Inis Eonáin" meaning Little Owen's Island or again "Innis Obhainn" meaning River Island.
The village developed around the ford or crossing on the River Bandon. Prior to the building of bridges, this ford was the only point on the river where people, their livestock and their goods could cross safely.
The earliest known reference Innishannon is in The Book of Leinster. It states "in 837 AD Innishannon and Dunderrow were ransacked and plundered by Viking pirates who came up the river's estuary".
In 1412 Innishannon was granted a royal charter by King Henry V. In the wording of the grant it was described as a place of considerable importance, being a large walled town with its own wharf and surrounded by many fine castles.
Following the battle of Kinsale in 1601, the armies of O'Neill, O'Donnell and their Spanish and Irish allies regrouped at Innishannon to consider their options. It could be argued that in their decision here to retreat rather than attack again was the battle really lost.